Friday, September 4, 2009

I've been here for exactly a week now and from day one my mind has been racing with information, impressions, thoughts and feelings about this great city. Everyday thus far has been an experience and while im sure that as the newness of it all departs me, I still feel as though each day here in Cairo offers me more than the last. Yesterday I saw the pyramids at Giza and the Sphinx, which is something that cannot be described in words. Its just the feeling that I had while there...at this place, this ancient wonder that was constructed hundreds and hundreds of years ago. It was so trippy to think about the ppl that labored over these great pieces of architecture, so much sweat and energy are between those bricks. I feel truly greatful and blessed to have been able to experience that. But aside from the touristy aspect of it all, it really hit me that I am here in Cairo, on a completely different continent, attempting(not so well of course) to speak a completely different language, for the next couple of months.
Cairo is seriously a million experiences packaged into one crazy ass city. I find it so amazing that a place that seemingly has so many rules because of the union of state and religion, also lacks strictness and rules where one may assume there would be. Its like a game trying to predict the Egyptian code of conduct, ESPECIALLY DURING RAMADAN. As far as social conduct goes, there is a strict frowning on PDA such as making out and heavy petting or groping. There is also a strict rule against muslims smoking and drinking during the Ramadan month. However, there is this strange interaction between the egyptian males where they show each other a great deal of affection in public, which to me would be PDA even though its same sex and completely platonic. Yet and still you can find couples all over the place in the cutest local date spots spending time with eachother and there seems to be no problem with that.
So there are those rules, but there are absolutely NO driving rules. I actually looked into what the driving test here consists of and not to my surprise I found that its a sinple test of driving around a couple of cones and identifying some street signs...not that there are many street signs around Cairo anyway. I was also told from a reliable source that I too could obtain my liscence here, by just presenting my passport and slipping the officer about 50 egyptian pounds...good to know.
Moving on...bedtime does not exist. Or at least not so far. I have not been back to my dorm before 2 am since I arrived here. Its so easy to lose track of the time because everyone is out socializing at the shisha bars, playing cards and backgammon or just chillin out in the street. I'm wondering if its like this now what is life like when Ramadan is not happening. Stores and certain businesses are open til at least 3 in the morning, which even for a New Yorker seems insane. The middle of downtown Cairo is always buzzing and at any given time you can find hundreds of people milling around, selling goods, or just hanging out. I'm talking about entire families, from little babies to old men just chilling in the middle of the city at 2 in the morning for no reason. Thats just the Cairo way I guess.
This last thing that I've noticed so far came as a pleasant suprise. Obama is BIG HIT here. I think the first two things that I always hear when a local finds out that I am American is either "Yes We Can!!!" or "Obama!!! GREAT!!". Its so great how enthused they are about my president. I guess its pretty cool to see how politics really affect everyone. I have no doubt that had I been here just two years ago people would not be so excited to find out that I am american. I was rocking my Obama t shirt the other day and the security guards completely let me through with out scanning my bag or anything and was just mumbling things and arabic with a broad smile across face and repeating "Obama! Obama!" Classes start tomorrow and I'm pretty excited to see what the classroom dynamic will be like compared to Wes. Its gonna be a dope semester.

0 comments: