Monday, September 14, 2009

chivalry is NOT dead

So I'm officially convinced that it's sooo much easier to be womanist (feminist) or at least "womanist (feminist)-minded" at home because too many of the black men (NOT ALL...just a lot) are trifling and/or disrespectful. Don't get me wrong--I'm all for self-sufficiency, equality, and respect for women, but it feels less like a struggle when I don't feel that tension that seems to separate black men and black women back at home. I have never met a more respectful, courteous, and friendly population of black men in my entire life than I have here in Ghana! I'm sure it's tied into Ghana's patriarchal culture which someone with a Western perspective might deem "problematic" (kinda hate that word Wes), but for the time being it feels right!

In other news...chivalry is not dead in more ways than one...I'm still confused as to why in a country that is a majority BLACK, some pigment-challenged individuals still feel comfortable enough, or the need to insert themselves unnecessarily into conversations in which their opinions and CORRECTIONS were not asked for, especially on issues of black identity and history. Perhaps their now cornrowed and/or braided hair (+ extensions) and the introductory West African dance class they signed up for has enabled them to tap into their African roots and they can now relate to me on issues of ethnicity and culture. Perhaps I'm being too harsh. Perhaps I shouldn't have changed my expectations of American cultural norms while abroad. I do know for sure that this sense of entitlement and white privilege needs to die a faster death.

- Christina B

0 comments: