Saturday, August 22, 2009

life on the fast track



So I haven't actually reached my study abroad destination yet, but with less than a week to go I'm trying to prepare myself for what the semester will be like. I've decided that I want to try as many new things as possible as well as learn as much as I can about Egyptian culture. Thus I have decided to observe Ramadan, which begins today (8/22). Ramadan is celebrated as the 9th month on the muslim calendar and it is seen as one of the five pillars of Islam. It is also believed that during this month the gates of heaven are open for the entire duration and the gates of hell are closed. During this ninth month, according to Islam, the holy Quran was sent down to earth from heaven. Practicing Muslims observe the month by fasting from sun up to sundown as well as straying from sinful activities, because the fast is supposed to be cleansing one's body, mind and soul. I don't know what all of this will mean to me, as the month progresses especially once I get to Cairo. But here's to me and my first day of Ramadan!

0 comments: