Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

So being in Buenos, Aires is like being two years old again...I have to relearn everything. How to appear less like a confused American and more like the savvy world traveller I seem to think I am. With my apparent lack of Spanish proficiency buying a pack of gum proves to be difficult. Each time I open my mouth to speak its like trying to read Marquez for the first time...somethin's not making sense. But despite the difficulties I must say I love Buenos, Aires! So after almost two weeks here I have come to a couple conclusions which I consider to be "The Good, the bad, and the ugly" based on 2 weeks of observation and subject to change.

The Good: Despite their reputations for being "chic, ultra-stylish and arrogant" the people of Buenos, Aires are overwhelmingly kind and helpful. The city is filled with people willing to chat with strange lost American girls and not just in hopes of getting me into bed..or at least not always.

The Bad: My dreams of strolling down the Avenida de Corrientes and sipping cafe at a corner bistro have been slightly disrupted by the cold weather(I didnt actually believe they had winter here) and the pollution(Argentinians seem almost oblivious to the environmental movement that has taken hold in so many other place around the world. They seem content to breath dirty air, run the water and liter anything anywhere.
1
The Ugly: Getting mugged at gunpoint week 1, by far the ugliest of uglies but you don't have to warn me twice, it won't happen again


0 comments: